As the owner of a K9 Resort and Spa, a dog grooming facility in Escondido, I have had hundreds of dog owners warn me that their dog HATES being groomed. I have heard tales of dogs who are so terrified that they shake uncontrollably and of dogs who are so angry that they growl and try to bite. For some, it’s such an unpalatable experience that they wait until their dog is seriously matted and tangled before making an appointment for dog grooming.
A Visit to the Dog Groomer Should NOT Be Painful!
At K9 Resort and Spa, we maintain a spa-like atmosphere where dogs are pampered and given the San Diego area’s finest red-carpet treatment during grooming sessions. Our motto is that ‘learning should not be painful.’ We know that neglecting routine coat maintenance teaches a dog that grooming hurts, damaging the dog-human relationship. Ironically enough, dog owners who have standing appointments for dog grooming services in Escondido at K9 Resort and Spa typically have dogs who enjoy the experience!
Top 5 Ways to Make Grooming FUN for Your Dog
- From the time that your dog is a puppy, familiarize him with grooming tools. Bonus Tip: Play with his feet so he is accustomed to his nails being handled, making nail trimming a breeze!
- Follow the instructions provided by your dog groomer for your dog’s particular grooming needs. Choose a quiet time in your day to sit and gently brush him. In addition to making your dog feel at ease, this maintenance step will prevent mats and tangles from forming.
- Start a grooming routine by making a standing appointment--and stick to it! For dog owners in the San Diego area, K9 Resort and Spa offers membership packages that include discounts for routine visits!
- Make sure that your dog is getting adequate exercise during the day. Dogs who are bored and lonely may bite and lick their skin and fur, creating hot spots which can be sore to the touch. If you are away for long periods, consider sending your dog to a doggy daycare program in Escondido at K9 Resort and Spa.
- Only bring your dog to a certified dog groomer. All dog breeds are not created equal, and only a professional will know how to appropriately take care of your baby! All of the groomers and technicians at K9 Resort and Spa are experienced professionals who can assure your dog’s safety.